A carport is a practical and valuable addition to any home, providing shelter and protection for your vehicle from the harsh weather conditions typical of the Perth region, including scorching sun, heavy rain, and hail. Carports not only safeguard your vehicle but also offer additional storage space and add value to your property.
With an array of designs, materials, and prices available, selecting the perfect carport can be a daunting task. This comprehensive guide aims to assist homeowners in choosing the right carport that suits their specific needs, budget, and style preferences, with our insights from One Stop Patio Shop, a trusted local carport and patio builder.
Assess your needs
Before delving into the world of carports, it’s essential to evaluate your requirements. Consider the following factors:
1. Number of vehicles: Start by determining how many vehicles you need to accommodate, as this will directly impact the size, design, and layout of your carport. Think about whether you will be parking cars, motorcycles, boats, or RVs, as this will influence the dimensions and configuration of your carport. Keep in mind that a larger carport can also be used for additional purposes, such as outdoor gatherings or storage space.
3000 mm x 6000 mm for a single, large car
6000 mm x 6000 mm for a double carport
2. Vehicle size: Take into account the dimensions of your vehicle(s), including height, width, and length, to ensure that the carport provides adequate space and clearance for easy access and manoeuvrability. Remember to account for side mirrors, roof racks, or other protruding features that may require additional clearance. Consider the turning radius of your vehicle(s) when planning the carport layout, as this will affect the ease of entering and exiting the structure.
3. Future plans: If you plan to purchase additional vehicles, upgrade to larger models, or foresee changes in your transportation needs, factor this into your decision-making process. Designing a carport with enough flexibility to accommodate future changes can save you time, money, and effort in the long run. Consider whether you may need to expand the carport or reconfigure its layout down the line.
4. Additional features: Consider if you need extra features for your carport, such as built-in storage, lighting, electrical outlets, or a workshop area. Evaluate which options best suit your needs and ensure they can be seamlessly integrated into your carport design.
Remember, our team of experts at One Stop Patio Shop is ready to help you navigate the options and guide you through the decision-making process, ensuring you receive a tailored solution that meets your specific requirements.
Local council regulations
Before making any decisions, you may need to consult your local council for information on building codes and regulations governing carports in your area. These regulations may influence the carport’s design, size, and materials, as well as any required permits.
Fortunately, One Stop Patio Shop will take care of all this for you. With every project we undertake, our comprehensive permit service is included. We will liaise with your local council on your behalf, securing all required permits and plans to construct your new structure. This way, you can enjoy peace of mind and avoid the added stress of dealing with permits and approvals. Read more about how we take care of shire approvals here.
Selecting the appropriate material for your carport is crucial for its longevity and functionality. One Stop Patio Shop offers a diverse selection of high-quality materials to suit various needs and preferences, ensuring the durability and visual appeal of your carport. Popular materials used for carports include:
- Steel: Steel carports are durable, strong, and resistant to corrosion, making them an excellent choice for the Western Australian climate. One Stop Patio Shop provides a variety of high-quality steel carports, featuring the popular and versatile Colorbond steel. Colorbond steel is available in an extensive range of colours, allowing you to match the carport with your home’s exterior or opt for a contrasting shade.
- Timber: Timber carports offer a natural, aesthetically pleasing appearance, adding a touch of warmth and charm to your property. When choosing timber, it’s essential to opt for treated wood that can withstand Western Australia’s climate and resist termites.
- Aluminium: Aluminium carports are lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and require minimal maintenance, making them an ideal choice for coastal areas. One Stop Patio Shop’s team can assist you in determining whether aluminium is the best choice for your needs, taking into consideration factors such as your home’s location, style, and budget.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate roofing, a versatile, durable, and lightweight material, is perfect for enhancing your outdoor living space. One Stop Patio Shop specialises in providing high-quality polycarbonate roofing options to elevate your patio, pergola, or carport experience.
Polycarbonate roofing is known for its durability, capable of withstanding harsh weather conditions such as high winds, heavy rain, and hail. Additionally, it offers UV protection by blocking harmful rays while still allowing natural light to filter through.
Being lightweight, polycarbonate is easier to transport, handle, and install compared to traditional roofing materials. It also provides exceptional insulation, helping to regulate temperatures under your carport. With various design options, polycarbonate roofing can be tailored to match your home’s aesthetic.
There are various carport designs to choose from, and selecting the right one will depend on your preferences, budget, and property layout. One Stop Patio Shop offers several carport designs, including:
- Dutch gable roof: Dutch gable roof carports blend the classic gable roof with the added style of a hip roof, featuring a pitched roof topped by a small hip roof. This attractive design ensures efficient water drainage and structural stability, making it suitable for areas with heavy rainfall or wind. Visually, Dutch gable roof carports enhance your property’s elegance, complementing traditional and classic homes with their harmonious and eye-catching appearance.
- Hip-end gable roofs: Hip-end gable roof carports combine the classic gable roof design with the added stability and aesthetics of a hip roof. These carports feature a pitched roof with an additional sloping section at each end, creating a more complete and finished appearance.
With improved water drainage due to the additional slopes at the ends, these carports are suitable for areas with heavy rainfall. The hip-end design also offers increased structural stability, ensuring better resistance against wind and weather-related damage.
Aesthetically, hip-end gable roof carports effortlessly integrate with diverse architectural designs, lending an air of refinement to your property’s overall look. Overall, this option is ideal for those seeking a durable, stylish, and versatile carport solution that complements their home’s design.
- Skillion flat roof: Skillion flat roof carports feature a modern, minimalist design with efficient water drainage due to their single, sloping roof. Their straightforward construction makes them a cost-effective option that complements various architectural styles, particularly modern homes. Skillion flat roof carports are a functional, visually appealing, and budget-friendly choice for homeowners seeking a carport solution that suits contemporary properties.
- Pyramid roof: Pyramid roof carports feature a unique four-sided peaked design that adds visual appeal and architectural interest to your outdoor space. They provide excellent water drainage due to their sloping roof, making them suitable for areas with heavy rainfall or snowfall.
Pyramid carports complement a range of architectural styles, adding elegance and sophistication to your property. With their structural stability, pyramid roof carports offer a durable and long-lasting solution for homeowners seeking a balance of aesthetics and functionality in their carport design.
To ensure your carport complements your home’s design and meets your specific requirements, consider customisation options. One Stop Patio Shop can help tailor your carport to suit your needs and preferences, with options such as:
- Colours: Match the carport’s colour to your home’s exterior or opt for a contrasting shade. One Stop Patio Shop offers a wide selection of Colorbond colours to choose from.
- Lighting: Add outdoor lighting for increased safety and visibility at night. We can provide guidance on appropriate lighting solutions.
- Storage: Incorporate built-in storage solutions, such as cabinets or shelves, to maximise space and functionality. One Stop Patio Shop can help design storage options that suit your needs.
Why choose One Stop Patio Shop?
Here are 8 reasons to choose us and experience the difference with our carports and patios Perth expert team.
- Exclusively using Australian-made products
- Quality assurance with a money-back guarantee
- Expert tradesmen, not salespeople
- Interest-free financing options
- Incentives for prompt decision-making
- Dependable and friendly service
- 25-year structural warranty
- Comprehensive solutions for all your carport requirements
Selecting the right carport is essential for enhancing your property’s value and functionality. Consider your needs, local regulations (One Stop Patio Shop will take care of this for you), materials, design, and customisation options to make an informed choice. Learn even more about our carport design and construction services here.
Trust One Stop Patio Shop for expert guidance, quality products, and exceptional service, making us the top choice for all your carport needs. Get in touch with our friendly carports Perth team today to begin your journey of constructing the ideal carport for your home.