Are you considering investing in a new carport? Want to know how you can build a functional carport that still matches your style and taste? One Stop Patio Shop is here to help. We have a wide range of options in design and materials and spend the time to really understand what you need and how you’d like it to be.
By the end of this article, you should better understand how you can stamp your personality on your carport design. Whether it be a carport, patio, or even a granny flat, One Stop Patio Shop can personalise the design specially for you. Get in touch with One Stop Patio Shop today to request a free quote and begin your journey towards your fully personalised carport.
How to personalise your carport design
Carports should not only protect your vehicles from the elements but reflect the style of your home or building too. You might be wondering, where do you start when it comes to creating your own personalised carport? There are plenty of options for personalisation when designing a carport.
One Stop Patio Shop builds carports and patios in a variety of roof styles to suit your home’s design and style, including:
- Hip-end gable roof: A hybrid between a gable roof (flat-faced roof with an end shape like an ‘A’) and a hip roof (roof with four sloping sides). The hip roof extends to the gable ends, giving the carport a more traditional look while providing added stability.
- Dutch gable roof: The Dutch gable roof combines a gable roof with a skillion roof. It has two sloping sides and a central gable, providing added height and style to the carport.
- Pyramid roof: A pyramid roof is a triangular roof that slopes evenly on all four sides to form a point at the top. They can either be built onto a square or rectangular square frame. This design provides a strong, stable structure for the carport and gives it a unique, eye-catching appearance.
- Skillion flat roof: A skillion flat roof is a single, sloping roof that extends from the wall of the house and is also known as a lean-to or mono-pitched roof. This design is often used for carports with a minimalist aesthetic and is best suited for areas with low rainfall.
Each of these roof designs has its own unique features and benefits, and the best one for you will depend on your personal preferences, the style of your home, and local building codes and regulations. One Stop Patio Shop can help you determine the best roof design for your custom carport.
One Stop Patio Shop offers a range of roofing materials for custom carports, including:
- Colorbond steel: Colorbond steel is a durable, long-lasting material that comes in a range of colours to match your home’s exterior. It is resistant to corrosion and weathering, making it a popular choice for carports.
- Zincalume steel: Zincalume steel is a corrosion-resistant material that offers a modern, sleek look for carports. It’s lightweight and easy to install, making it a great option for those looking for a low-maintenance carport roof.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate is a clear, UV-resistant material that is perfect for carports that serve as outdoor living spaces. It provides ample natural light while also offering protection from the elements.
- Aluminium: Aluminium is a lightweight and durable material that is ideal for carports. It’s resistant to rust and weathering, making it a great option for coastal areas.
- Tiles: Tiles provide a traditional look for carports and come in a range of colours and styles to match your home’s exterior. They are durable and long-lasting but can be more expensive and difficult to install than other roofing materials.
- SolarSpan: SolarSpan is a type of insulated roofing material that offers both insulation and natural light. It’s made of a layer of foam sandwiched between two layers of Colorbond steel, making it strong and durable. SolarSpan is a good option for carports that also serve as outdoor living spaces, as it provides a comfortable and protected environment.
- Timber lined: Timber lining provides a warm, natural look for carports and is a popular choice for homes with a traditional or rustic aesthetic. It is important to note that timber is a porous material, so it may require more maintenance and protection from the elements than other roofing materials.
The best roofing material for your carport will depend on your personal preferences, the style of your home, and local building codes and regulations. One Stop Patio Shop can help you determine the best roofing material for your custom carport.
Choice of colours
One Stop Patio Shop offers a range of colour options for custom carports as part of roofing styles, including:
- Colorbond steel: Colorbond steel comes in a range of colours to match your home’s exterior, giving you the freedom to choose a colour that complements your style and personal preferences.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate roofing is typically clear, but can be tinted to reduce glare and heat.
- Tiles: Tiles come in a range of colours, from traditional terracotta to modern blues and greens.
- Timber: Timber roofing can be stained or painted to match your home’s exterior or to create a unique look for your carport.
One Stop Patio Shop uses high-quality paint and stains to ensure that your custom carport will look great for years to come. They can help you choose the right colour and finish to match your home’s style and personal preferences.
Single, double, triple…or bigger?
A little fun fact—the average carport in Australia is slightly bigger than in other countries. The choice between a single, double, or triple carport will depend on several factors, including:
- Vehicle size: Consider the size of your vehicles and choose a carport that will comfortably accommodate them. If you have a larger vehicle, a double or even triple carport may be necessary for a single vehicle.
- Outdoor space: Consider the size of your outdoor space and choose a carport that fits comfortably and complements the look of your home. If you have limited outdoor space, a single carport may be the best option.
- Building codes and regulations: Check with local building codes and regulations to ensure your carport meets size requirements and any other necessary conditions.
- Future needs: Consider your future needs, such as the possibility of owning additional vehicles or using the carport for additional storage.
- Personal preferences: Your personal preferences and the intended use of your carport will also play a role in determining its size. Do you want a carport that’s just big enough to protect your vehicle or one that provides additional outdoor living space?
Comfortable carport sizes for one and two vehicles are:
- 3 metres x 6 metres for a single, large car
- 6 metres x 6 metres for a double carport for two averaged-sized cars
At One Stop Patio Shop, you’re not bound by standards. We can customise your personal carport size to suit you properly. One Stop Patio Shop offers custom carport designs, so you can choose the size that best meets your needs and fits your outdoor space. Our experts can help guide you through the process and ensure that your carport meets all necessary requirements.
Freestanding or attached?
Another customisable feature of your carport is the choice between a freestanding or attached carport best suits your needs. When choosing between a freestanding or attached carport, consider the following factors:
- Space: Freestanding carports do not require attachment to a house or other structure, making them ideal for larger outdoor spaces. Attached carports are typically smaller and take up less outdoor space, making them a good option for homes with limited outdoor space.
- Style: Freestanding carports can serve as a standalone structure and can be designed to complement the look of your home, while attached carports can blend seamlessly with your home’s existing architecture.
- Functionality: Freestanding carports can serve a variety of purposes, from car protection to outdoor living spaces, while attached carports are typically used for vehicle protection only.
- Cost: Freestanding carports may be more expensive to build than attached carports, as they require more materials and a larger foundation.
One Stop Patio Shop offers both freestanding and attached carport designs and can help you determine the best option for your home based on your specific needs and budget. They can provide a customised quote for your project and help you through every step of the process, from design to installation.
The location or placement of your carport is an important consideration, as it will impact its functionality and appearance. Some factors to consider when determining the best location for your carport include:
- Vehicle access: Ensure that your carport is located near your driveway for easy access to your vehicle.
- Sun and shade: Consider the position of the sun and shade when placing your carport. A north-facing carport will provide shade during the hot summer months, while a west-facing carport may receive too much direct sun.
- Building codes: Check with your local council to determine any building codes or restrictions that may apply to the placement of your carport.
- Aesthetics: Consider the appearance of your carport in relation to your home and outdoor space. Choose a location that complements the look of your home and enhances your outdoor living space.
A multi-use carport?
A multi-use carport is a carport that can serve multiple purposes, beyond just protecting your vehicle. Some of the ways that a multi-use carport can be utilised include:
- Outdoor living space: A carport can double as an outdoor living area for entertaining, relaxing, or dining.
- Storage area: Use the space under your carport for storage, such as bicycles, lawn equipment, or outdoor furniture.
- Workshop: Transform your carport into a workshop by adding shelving, cabinets, and a workbench.
By incorporating additional features and amenities, a multi-use carport can provide additional value to your home and enhance your outdoor living space. One Stop Patio Shop can help you design a multi-use carport that meets your specific needs and provides additional functionality.
In conclusion, a carport is a great investment for your home, providing protection for your vehicle and enhancing your outdoor living space. When choosing a carport, consider factors such as roof design, size, roof material, colour options, and whether you want a freestanding or attached structure. It is also important to think about the placement of your carport and whether you want it to serve a multi-use purpose.
One Stop Patio Shop offers a wide range of carport designs and options to meet your specific needs and preferences in your patio design in Perth. Their experienced professionals can help you choose the best design and materials, and provide a customised quote for your project. With their commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, One Stop Patio Shop is your go-to source for all your patios Perth needs.