Forget spring cleaning for a moment, because have you ever thought about autumn cleaning? Autumn is the time for leaves to fall, blow around and collect in areas outside (or inside, if you’re unlucky).
Now is the perfect time to clean your patio flooring. Don’t worry it’s not so hard and tiresome as you might think.
Want to know the best cleaning tips for your patio flooring depending on what flooring you have in place?
Read more from the Perth patio professionals at One Stop Patio Shop to find out.
Check the house improvement blog for more information.
Cleaning tips for patio decking
Consistent maintenance of timber decking is very important in order for it to stand the test of time and weather all the seasons that Perth throws its way.
At least once a year you should thoroughly clean your patio deck flooring.
- Start by removing all objects on or near your deck such as your potted plants and patio furniture.
- Grab a broom to sweep up any leaves, dirt, dust and other debris.
- Once finished with the broom, hose down your patio deck or use a pressure washer. Be careful with a pressure washer though, as improper and prolonged use can damage the wood. Try and hose in between the boards, too.
- Scrub your deck with a mild soap detergent and warm water. There’s no need for harsh chemicals. Create a lather with a brush or sponge and then leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with clean water and let it dry naturally.
- Pro tip: to keep your patio deck flooring protected, treat for algae and mould. Then, reseal with a waterproof sealer.
Cleaning tips for outdoor tiles
You’ll find that slight (but important) variations exist when it comes to cleaning your patio flooring.
For a tiled patio, follow these steps:
- Use a soft broom to sweep up any debris. Emphasis on the soft!
- Scrub the tiled surface with a soft brush and warm water. Try without chemicals first, but for stubborn marks feel free to use a mild soap detergent or special alkaline tile cleaner.
- Once clean, rinse off with a hose and mop to absorb excess water.
- Let it dry naturally.
Cleaning tips for concrete and paving
Do you have concrete or paving for your Perth patio?
Follow these cleaning tips for great results:
- Clear away furniture, plants and other removable items (and pull up any weeds that may be growing between your pavers).
- Sweep, sweep, sweep up any and all mess.
- For concrete patio flooring mix a solution of trisodium phosphate and water and put into your pressure washer. No pressure washer? Simply wet the concrete and spread the solution with a thick-bristled brush. Rinse thoroughly and then let dry.
- For paved patio flooring, simply follow the same steps for cleaning patio deck flooring. Of course, there’s no need to seal at the end.
Find all your Perth patio needs at One Stop Patio Shop
Interested in installing or renovating a Perth patio?
Come on down to the One Stop Patio Shop showroom in Canning Vale for all the advice and products you need for a wonderful, functional patio.
Contact One Stop Patio Shop for all the advice, products and services you’ll need for a functional, fit for purpose Perth patio.